• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hey guys! Since releasing MD Pro Share at the end of last month, things have been a little quiet on my end. Tonight I thought I'd step back a little and write this quick thread to give you an idea of what I've been working on and how it translates to the next big thing for MD.

Starting with client work...

Most of the growth and direction of MD4 has come from my behind-the-scenes work building website for the clients I work with through Kolakube. Not only is MD great for casual writers who want powerful features out of the box, but it also serves as a solid foundation for totally custom pages.

Over the past month I've taken on 2 larger projects, one being the largest I've ever single-handedly negotiated by myself, so naturally I've been focusing on getting these sites delivered—built on top of MD, obviously. Through projects like these I use MD in a different light than I do when developing the software itself and get to test things in real life scenarios instead of just pure theory.

Between the feedback I get from answering your guys' questions here and working on client projects, MD spends a lot of time under examination and has turned into a very solid framework because of it.

There's obviously a lot of things we'd all like to still see MD be able to do and continue improving upon, and that's partly why I wanted to write this thread.

For as rewarding as larger scale client projects are, my passion as a developer will always be the direct work I do on Marketers Delight, and I always have the most fun working on new releases that eventually make it into your hands.

I can say with confidence that these last few client projects I've taken on have given me perspective on how I should move forward with building the features I've dreamed of including into MD for years. Not only into new products, but especially towards improving existing features.

What are the next moves for Marketers Delight?

Last night I tore through my notebooks and reviewed my crowded whiteboards to get a feel for what's next on the horizon, and here's an overview of what I came up with:

1) More design options

One of the biggest reasons people ask for refunds in MD is because there aren't many formal options to change colors and fonts. This has been one of the weakest points since releasing MD4.0 (can't believe we're all the way at MD4.6.1!) and one that wouldn't take me a long time to implement if I focused intently to build them.

I got a lot of great feedback about the basic design options added in MD4.5.4 and will use what was added then as the blueprint for future design options.

Things like changing the header color, menu colors, font sizes, etc. will be focus, and will cut out some of the time you spend in Child Themes to make these changes.

2) Release more Drop-ins!

Based on how well-received the Bookshelf Drop-in was, I have full confidence in the ideas of Drop-ins as a whole and are something I'll be experimenting more with big time.

Drop-ins are so cool because they act as "unofficial" features that build off of MD's core API's and can add very specific features to your site. Keeping them separate from MD allows us to build any idea we want into a Drop-in and not worry if they'll be suitable for every site—it's a build as you go kind of thing, essentially.

To top it off, Drop-ins are designed to be a single file (and a handful of CSS) you drop into your child theme to easily activate.

Here are ideas I have for Drop-ins, most of which are around 80-90% finished and need some final editing to release to you guys:
  1. Video Gallery (the same drop-in that powers MDTV)
  2. Testimonials (creates a page full of testimonials you add into a post type, comes with shortcode to output individual testimonials)
  3. Content Boxes + Alt Boxes (mini Page Builders you can use to create flexible and stylized content from WP admin)
  4. Countdown Page Lead (create scarcity offers with cool countdown clocks)

Drop-ins have a lot of potential and something I will focus hard on when the time comes.

3) A more flexible Email Forms system

One of the biggest problems MD solves for many of you is the ability to add email forms to your site without dealing with huge email form codes (in most cases). The Email Forms system we have now connects to a few of the most popular Email services (MailChimp, AWeber, ActiveCampaign, ConvertKit + custom HTML codes) and gives us a solid foundation for the future of where we can take this system.

I've brainstormed a lot on how I want to further improve this system, and this remains one of the things I'm most excited to build out for MD. The features I have in mind for it go something like this...

• Ability to connect to multiple Email Service Providers (ESP) per site, so you can display forms from different services on the same site
  • Add Tags compatibility, so you can connect individual forms back into your ESP
  • Create a system called "Email Hotspots" that make it easy to quickly deploy different kinds of email forms around your site

Like I said, there's already a lot of great things in our existing Email Forms system like the streamlined way of connecting new APIs, the [md_email] shortcode, email form widget, and its deep integration into other MD features, to name a few.

4) Better MD Popups

MD Popups is one of the features I'm most proud of and one that needs to see significant improvements made to realize its full potential. The custom popups script I wrote for it has to be one of the best, most lightweight scripts out there, but the buggy Live Popups Builder really holds back the potential of MD Popups in my opinion.

The coolest things I've done with the popups script, like the way the Bookshelf deploys popups and in some custom work I've done, have been through custom Child Theme code. This isn't a problem for someone like me who is an experienced developer, but not so helpful for people who want point and click popups.

On top of improving the Live popups builder, I have great ideas for improving the Popups Manager interface (where you create, edit, and delete popups) that will make your workflow far more organized and flexible.

I'd say after the Email Forms overhaul, MD Popups will be the next big focus of improving the MD core.

5) MD Page Builder

I become more and more fascinated by Page Builders, and MD4.5.4 even added support for other WordPress page builders. However, I believe there is an opportunity to expand on the ideas that made Page Leads so popular and create a unique system for creating custom pages within MD and the WP admin. 

You'll probably see the first ideas of this through future MD Drop-ins like Alt Boxes + Content Boxes, and will eventually morph into a full-fledged layout builder that blends Page Leads and MD layout options into a single, easy to use system.

After building many different variations of page builders for various client projects over the month, I feel I have some killer ideas that can be centralized into a page builder for MD, and one that suits our style: fast performing, beautiful content, and powerful functionality.

The idea of an MD page builder excites me to no end and one I will carefully build towards in each MD iteration. Again, look out for the Content + Alt Boxes Drop-ins for early tastes of what the future holds for this idea.

6) Child Themes + Templates

In addition to Drop-ins, other product ideas you guys have requested are predesigned child themes and page templates you can install to MD.

Instead of building everything from scratch, installing a predesigned Child Theme that already has custom colors and fonts can give you a massive head-start in customizing your site, even greater than the head-start you get from using barebones MD.

On the flip-side, we have ideas for pre-made Page Templates that simply require you only input your text to use them. These Templates will give you a head-start in creating landing pages to sell products, services, or whatever kind of page you have in mind.

These ideas are incredibly exciting and would greatly improve many of our workflows by using them. Once I start releasing things like MD design options and the Content + Alt boxes Drop-ins, we'll have a foundation for moving forward with these ideas.

Streamlining custom MD work: what I've been focusing on in the first half of February

That's a lot of great stuff isn't it? Let's circle back to the beginning of this post:

I love working one-on-one with people who want to use MD on their site, and that includes the custom work I do to help you get your sites exactly the way you want. I also further that by spending time here and answering your questions.

That do-it-yourself spirit will always drive MD to get better and easier for all of us to use. However, I don't want to spread myself so thin that I can't take time to develop the things I wrote about above, so I've been devising a system to streamline the process for everyone interested in working with me to use.

The idea is called Sites Delight and I brought on someone who I think has potential to push me to work harder and better the things I suck at: namely, marketing and consistently creating content.

Through Sites Delight you can order the most commonly requested services I get offered like custom MD landing pages, custom web sections, design tweaks, and many other services. It's all put together in a fun to use order form, and has systems in place that make getting information from you easy so you don't have to track me down.

I keep a private inventory full of custom code work I do on MD and that will be a huge reason why I believe we can deliver quick turnarounds on the services ordered through Sites Delight.

On top of that, working with you through Sites Delight will allow me to refine the custom code I do have to eventually be turned into the features and products I talked about above. All while providing you with a service that gets you the site you want now and in a custom fashion, I think this new service will streamline how things get done with MD.

I'll have a more formal announcement about Sites Delight soon...

What do you think? What do you want to see the most?

This post got pretty long but I hope it excites you for the future of Marketers Delight, because it is very bright. In this day and age publishing content that you actually own has never been more important, and I want MD to be the WordPress solution that eliminates needs for third party services that host content for you.

What do you think of what we have in store for Marketers Delight and most importantly: what do YOU want to see next? I have very firm ideas of my own, all of which are influenced by your guys' feedback and why MD is already so great.

Leave a reply to this post if you have anything you'd like to share, and I very much look forward to the next phase of Marketers Delight.

- Alex
Check out the Kolakube blog or follow me on Twitter.

#2 Cameron Adair

Cameron Adair

Advanced Member

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:44 PM

Yes awesome. So many of the changes you shared (especially Video Gallery, email system tags) are going to be so dope!

#3 Stephen Pasquini

Stephen Pasquini

Advanced Member

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:12 AM

I love the idea of sites delight and child themes. One of the main reasons I have not converted my high traffic sites to MD is because of customization issues. I would love to have an option to purchase these so I can focus on content and not messing with CSS for hours at a time without getting anywhere. I love the idea of more drop ins as well... the bookshelf is priceless!!!

#4 Ray

Ray

Brooklyn's Finest

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:16 AM

Good stuff Alex. 

I think SD is a great idea, and I've always wanted pre-made templates for MD. 

Having more design options will certainly make things easier for those of us that are "design-challenged"

I consult, create products and brainstorm all day

#5 maikman

maikman

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

Great work Alex!

I'm not sure if it's already possible but a way to track the popup and emailforms would be a great feature. 

At this point there's no way to track how the popups and emailforms are performing right?

#6 mrbrady

mrbrady

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:52 AM

This all sounds great Alex. The drop ins, especially the content areas are what I've been waiting for.

#7 Richard Brown

Richard Brown

Advanced Member

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

Alex, all of your ideas make MD even better. So glad to have you making improvements to an already great theme!

#8 Anwar

Anwar

Advanced Member

• MD Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

Great to see you make such progress. I kinda like that MD is sort of a personal thing from Alex, instead of a theme from a big faceless company.

Personally I would like to see the drop-ins be released in the coming months. I really think that would benefit the current MD community and show potential customers that MD can be extended in many ways.

I'd also love to see more in-depth tutorials on how to create custom pages with code. People like me who use MD for client work allready know how to code and want to make every MD website look unique.

#9 Stephen Pasquini

Stephen Pasquini

Advanced Member

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

Yes, Anwar I agree, tutorials would be very, very helpful.

#10 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

Yes awesome. So many of the changes you shared (especially Video Gallery, email system tags) are going to be so dope!

I know you especially will get a ton of value from the Video library, that will be one of the first new Drop-ins released!

I love the idea of sites delight and child themes. One of the main reasons I have not converted my high traffic sites to MD is because of customization issues. I would love to have an option to purchase these so I can focus on content and not messing with CSS for hours at a time without getting anywhere. I love the idea of more drop ins as well... the bookshelf is priceless!!!

I'd be very excited to get your larger sites over to MD! I know what you're capable of content wise so it seems like a match made in heaven wouldn't you say? :)

Good stuff Alex. 

I think SD is a great idea, and I've always wanted pre-made templates for MD. 

Having more design options will certainly make things easier for those of us that are "design-challenged"

The last bit of work you and I did to your site sparked a lot of ideas for Sites Delight, so thank you for that! I'm loving all the work you've put into Raylosophy lately.

Great work Alex!

I'm not sure if it's already possible but a way to track the popup and emailforms would be a great feature. 

At this point there's no way to track how the popups and emailforms are performing right?

Thanks for the comment! Adding Tag compatibility to email forms would allow you to connect those forms back into your Email Service Provider, which will track the conversion rate + other stats of the form for you. I don't anticipate on MD ever having its own analytics/stats in it, but bridges like Email Tags will make their way in so your ESP can do the advanced tracking for you.

This all sounds great Alex. The drop ins, especially the content areas are what I've been waiting for.

Drop-ins are most likely the next release you guys can expect to see and I can't wait to get the Content Boxes drop-in out there in particular.

Great to see you make such progress. I kinda like that MD is sort of a personal thing from Alex, instead of a theme from a big faceless company.

Personally I would like to see the drop-ins be released in the coming months. I really think that would benefit the current MD community and show potential customers that MD can be extended in many ways.

I'd also love to see more in-depth tutorials on how to create custom pages with code. People like me who use MD for client work allready know how to code and want to make every MD website look unique.

Thanks a lot Anwar, I appreciate the comments and questions you leave here as they challenge MD in a lot of ways. You've certainly left an impression with your feedback, so thank you for the time you put in yourself!

I agree with what you say about Drop-ins and I hope people will use them as references to build their own. All the code is added into Child Themes, so it's all reusable and fair game in custom projects.

More tutorials are badly needed too and I have loads of ideas for them. I'll continue to improve on that front as well!

- Alex

#11 callummahoney

callummahoney

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

All sounds great.

Looking forward to the drop-ins in particular.

#12 universityaffiliates

universityaffiliates

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

For starters I'd just like bugs fixed. I hate having to fix  some of these issues on my own. When they were part of the last version of the theme. 

#13 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

For starters I'd just like bugs fixed. I hate having to fix  some of these issues on my own. When they were part of the last version of the theme. 

If there any bugs you see, report them here! I'm usually pretty good about getting bug fixes into MD.

- Alex

#14 universityaffiliates

universityaffiliates

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:46 AM

I reported the logo issue. I hate having to modify the core of MD on every site. 

#15 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for reporting the logo issue, I added it to MD4.6.1 so each time you download MD you shouldn't have to make that fix anymore.

- Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users