• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrbrady

mrbrady

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

Alex, wow, thanks for bringing this to light, it's news to me these exist. Themes I've tried in the past that attempted to do this were just a nightmare, which is why I quickly scurried back to MD.

So seeing as this seems to be a relatively new development in the WP scene. What do folks recommend?

BTW one feature I'd really like to use is a 'video background'

Anyway ones I know of are the two Alex mentioned: Beaver Builder and Thrive Content Builder plus Visual Composer.

#2 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

I'm glad you see the value in them, they certainly unlock a lot of possibilities. I know many people who are afraid these page builders are going to put them out of business, but I'd rather have them make MD better. Eventually MD will have something more sophisticated for "page building" but until then, plenty of decent options out there.

For the kinds of site we create, Beaver Builder and Thrive Content really seem to be the top dogs. There are other, less developed page builders available on WordPress.org plugins, but I don't have much experience using any page builder to make a recommendation.

I can say I've heard some nightmare stories about Visual Composer (a client had me recode a few of their sites because their VC site loaded so slow), so you may want to stay away from that one!

- Alex
Check out the Kolakube blog or follow me on Twitter.

#3 mrbrady

mrbrady

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

I personally think MD and the builder complement each other pretty well. I'm not sure I'd want to do everything in a builder, but it seems to make fleshing out the site easier to wrap my head around, though I've found adding actual content feels a bit fiddly so I'd be pretty excited to see where you wind up going. 

For now, I just installed Beaver Builder, and it wasn't too hard to work out how to use it to add the video background I wanted on my main page. Looks good, compliments doesn't replace MD in any way for me.

This is probably the happiest I've ever been with the main site, feels a heck of a lot less amateur then my efforts even a few years back. But still retains a bit of that homey feel I'm aiming for.

http://punavuorifoundationalgym.fi

#4 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

Wow, this is really cool! I didn't even think of using Page Leads + page builders simultaneously. Glad to see how versatile this idea really is—nice work!

Your site has been up to speed on the new MD for almost 2 years now? I'm glad you've been able to keep up with the updates, you're proving the longevity of this theme and that makes me very hopeful for the future of this product. Keep up the great work!!

- Alex

#5 mrbrady

mrbrady

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Alex. I already had the page leads set up, so it just made sense to keep them and use the page builder just for the content area. 

Yes it must be about two years on the platform, I jumped on it pretty soon after release iirc.

Also keep in mind, I'm a guy who teaches people how to do pushups, not a marketer, designer. You're site has always been very helpful for me to keep some working knowledge of that though.

When you came out with the 'Page Lead' concept, I knew, it was the closest thing available to what I'm looking for. 

I see the page builder concept could be very useful for general design. But since I'm basically a one man show, and have to do regular updates to the site, I don't see it a very friendly for adding content at all. At this moment I see what you've done with MD2 as far more friendly overall.

Not sure if that helps. I have a feeling that I can't be an outlier though, there must be many small businesses that need websites in the same way I do.

#6 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

When you came out with the 'Page Lead' concept, I knew, it was the closest thing available to what I'm looking for. 

I see the page builder concept could be very useful for general design. But since I'm basically a one man show, and have to do regular updates to the site, I don't see it a very friendly for adding content at all. At this moment I see what you've done with MD2 as far more friendly overall.

This is very helpful, most page builders focus on giving you every possible design control but I'm more interested in a page builder that focuses on content entry with minimal design options (the theme should take care of the most design elements IMO).

To be clear, do you find the simple meta box controls in Page Leads preferable for adding content vs. something as exhaustive as Beaver Builder? The page builder I have in mind for MD builds off the idea of simple content entry — type your text into a box and it transfers into a pre-designed element on your page.

- Alex

#7 mrbrady

mrbrady

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Hey Alex, I'd say content entry for me with BB just feels clunky. So as is, yes I prefer adding the content from the backend. But if there's a way to make it less clunky, I'd be all for it. One of the problems is that popups are popping up down the page and out of view, so you have to scroll to find them.

What is interesting about the page builder for me, is just being able to add more sections to a page than what MS allows. So, say, you had a Page Content builder to go along with what you've already done in Page Leads, to add some standard content types, and the possibility of more sections of content?

I'm happy to give more input if it helps.

I can totally see how for a designer, handing a website off to a client, that focusing on just the content makes a ton of sense. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users