6 replies to this topic

#1 Maikel

Maikel

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Hey Alex,

I got a few ideas while working with Marketers Delight on different websites.

1. When changing an existing website to Marketers Delight, you need to re-save all posts for the featured image to work. This is not fun with 300+ posts.

2. I’m missing the option to enable sidebar for all pages and/or woocommerce product pages.

I did manage to do the both things with a query to save time, but I don’t think everybody knows how to do this. Would be user friendly to have an option to do this for everybody when setting up the theme.

3. Dropdown menu for the header menu. Created it myself on https://webtalis.nl (blog) and http://www.belgischhardsteen.eu (Alle Vd Heuvel & Van Duuren Websites).

4. Sticky header. There is a post on the forum about this, but it doesn’t work good on all devices.

5. Would be great to use the different page leads more then once on a single page (without using custom template)

6. Possibility to choose existing custom sidebar. I duplicated custom sidebars multiple times because you can't choose an existing custom sidebar.

Keep up the good work. I really love creating beautiful websites with this theme. :-)

#2 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

Hey Maikel,

These are great suggestions, you guys do great work with MD!

-----

1) That's absolutely not fun. Would a global option to set a default featured image position alleviate this? I was considering adding something like this in MD4.5, the next update.

2) I've been thinking about a better way to control sidebars and maybe something along the lines of the Page Leads display options could be an improvement:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 8.08.02 PM.png   15.63KB   1 downloads

Would you be willing to post those queries here? I'm curious to see your workaround for this, it sounds intriguing!

3) I agree with this. I didn't include a header dropdown to begin with because of how they'd format on mobile, but my JS skills have come a long way since then and I think I can build something in that works great. Nice work on adding your own dropdown menu there.

4) This would be a great option to have as well, I'll see how I can improve the sticky header from that tutorial or whip up something custom.

5) This is a huge improvement I'm working on to turn Page Leads into a complete page builder. It may take a little time for this one to pan out but is definitely a top priority of MD.

6) Agreed, I can say now the way MD handles custom sidebars now is not the best way. I'm sure you've seen it, but this plugin looks great for custom sidebars: https://wordpress.or...ustom-sidebars/

-----

Thanks for your feedback here, I'm looking to get back on a more consistent update schedule shortly with MD4.5 leading the way.

- Alex
Check out the Kolakube blog or follow me on Twitter.

#3 Maikel

Maikel

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

Love the quick response.

1) Yes, most themes use only one format for the featured images, so i think most people want all post to use the same featured image position in the beginning to get started.

2) Would be great.

Absolutely. I used the queries below:

Featured images position right for all posts

insert into wp_postmeta (post_id, meta_key, meta_value)
select ID, 'md_featured_image_position', 'right' from wp_posts where post_type = 'post';

Added sidebar to all WooCommerce product pages

insert into wp_postmeta (post_id, meta_key, meta_value) 
select ID, 'md_layout_sidebar', 'a:3:{s:3:"add";i:1;s:6:"custom";i:0;s:6:"remove";i:0;}' from wp_posts where post_type = 'product';

The prefix can be different on different websites, but you know that.
I also tested if MD would duplicate the row in the database, but MD recognizes it when it is already there, so it worked great.  :-)

3,4,5) Sweeeeet.

6) I know there are other options yes, but i was just too lazy to install the plugin.

#4 bambangoke

bambangoke

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

Hi Maikel,

Great website, 

Can you share how to display recent post on your home page of https://webtalis.nl/ ?

Thanks,

Bambang Oke (geek)
Windows User, Mac Lovers

#5 Maikel

Maikel

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

I use the plugin Content Views for the homepage (with a few css customizations) and placed the shortcode in the footer.php file of my child theme. (under <?php md_hook_before_footer(); ?>)

<?php
if ( is_front_page() ) { ?>
<div class="block-full text-center">
<?php echo do_shortcode("[pt_view id=426eaff6d3]"); ?>
<p>
<a class="button" class="aligncenter" href="https://webtalis.nl/blog/">Bekijk het blog overzicht</a></p>
</div>
<?php } else {   
}
?>

#6 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

Very cool plugin, I was wondering how you added those in too.

As an update on MD4.5, I just put the finishing touches on the default featured image position setting. Setting this option will take care of all those old post images in just a click.

Attached Files

- Alex
Check out the Kolakube blog or follow me on Twitter.

#7 Maikel

Maikel

• MD Customer
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

Very nice!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users