Photo

[New Ideas] - Email Opt-In Exit Intent, Popup Modals, Etc..

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 DannyOutlaw

DannyOutlaw

• MD Customer
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:37 AM

Hey -

Love the theme! The only thing I still find myself needing a plugin for is some slightly more advanced opt-in related functions.

1. Be able to set a custom redirect url after a user enters in an email.
For example, after user submits email, I want to redirect them to a page like this (https://www.dropbox.....35.18.png?dl=0)

2. 2 Step Email Modals
I want to be able to create a button or text link that opens a modal with an email optin form in it.

3. Exit Intent Modal
I want to be able to create a modal when exit intent is detected. This could be an opt-in modal or just text. Would like to be able to set a global default and per page basis.

#2 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

Really glad to hear it Danny! Thanks for the suggestions, I looked into what it would take to create these and it wouldn't be hard at all. Writing these down.

1) This is something I can definitely look into. Which email service are you using?

2 + 3) These are great ideas too. Services like OptinMonster make this easy and work well with MD, but it would be nice to be able to do these without an extra service.
  • Ray likes this
- Alex
Check out the Kolakube blog or follow me on Twitter.

#3 Colin

Colin

Affiliate

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

I would also like to see these features added :)
I need 1 + 2

Checkout my Blog | Follow me on Twitter

#4 Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• MD Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

I would love to see these options. Having an option other than a 3rd party like OptinMonster, Leadpages or OptimizePress would be awesome features and add a lot value to the theme.

#5 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! These features would be killer, I'll definitely be taking them more seriously.

How would you envision these working? I'm thinking there's a page (kind of like the Tools > Email Forms page) where you can create the exit intent optin form. Would you find it useful to be able to create multiple of these forms, or could you get by with a single exit intent and just tweak the text as you come up with different offers?
- Alex

#6 Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• MD Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

Alex, I like the idea of having it's own page. That way you can full control of it.

My pop-up and exit optins are post specific. I use them with a content upgrade for the specific post that I am working on. I also have a more general lead magnet that I would use on my homepage and few other pages of the site. To be able to have some control on the post and page editor to pick the particular form would be great.

Here is how I use optin forms on my site now via LeadPages...

1. Content Upgrades - These are post specific lead magnets. I have a few alert boxes with a click now link or button that displays the overlay with the email form. Obviously, I have an image and such to make it pretty. While I believe most people would be fine with a general default skin, I would also like full customization of the look. I think this goes in line with MD now where you can do a general customization or dig deeper and do a full customization.

2. Pop-up Opins - On the same pages with the alerts and content upgrades, I have a pop-up overlay set to open at a certain time (usually around 30 seconds, but it depends on the average time on a page or the site). Obviously, this would be able to be closed if the the visitor isn't interested yet. I also have a setting so this pop-up won't show again for X number of days so I don't annoy regular visitors.

3. Exit Pop-Up - Same as the others, but it pop up when the visitor scrolls off the site to the browsers controls and such. I also have this set not to show again for X number of days.

Another option that LeadPages has, but I don't use, is a Welcome Gate. This forces new visitors to Welcome Page with an optin offer before going to the page they were trying. Most people I know say they haven't experienced any increase in conversions with this, which is one reason I haven't tried this tactic.

One last thing....this pop-overs could also be integrated into the current email forms. Instead of having the name and email forms, there could be just a button which would open the overlay.

Just a few thoughts on my end. Hope they help.

#7 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:20 AM

Thank you Brad, that was excellent feedback. I'm ramping up to start development on this addon, it's going to be MD's first official paid addon: https://kolakube.com/md-popups/
  • Ray likes this
- Alex

#8 Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• MD Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Awesome news. I am definitely interested.

Just saw that App Sumo added a Welcome Mat. I have yet to try it, but it seems a better solution than a Welcome Gate. Here is more info about it: http://www.appsumo.com/welcome-mat/. Another nice twist for email collection of traffic funneling.

#9 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

That looks great, SumoMe has some serious great products. I think having this stuff native to your own website can be beneficial too and I hope to make the MD popups addon as enticing as their offer.
- Alex

#10 Tim Marsh

Tim Marsh

Advanced Member

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Alex
I think if you built something like Optin Monster with a ONE OFF payment, we'd be all over it.

Key features
Active Campaign, MC, Aweber integration
Exit intent
Trigger (X % of page or # minutes)
Suppress by page, category, post IDs
Trigger Outputs: pop up, scroll bar
Templates
Pass hidden fields to mail manager

Something like Optin Monster/SumoMe without a subscription payment and without SumoMe's RIDICULOUS amount of code bloat

I use LeadPages but object to the pricing (there's also Optimize Press I suppose).

I think building something like Lead Pages would be really really hard, so a pop ups manager would be a good start

I would pay $99 for something really good. In fact I would prepay a Kickstarter or similarright now.

#11 Tim Marsh

Tim Marsh

Advanced Member

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

Thank you Brad, that was excellent feedback. I'm ramping up to start development on this addon, it's going to be MD's first official paid addon: https://kolakube.com/md-popups/

What is that landing page built with? Is that standard MD4?

Bloody awesome!

#12 Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• MD Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:01 PM

Alex.....something personally that I am looking to do on the redesign I am currently building is to add a contact form to a lightbox. It would be like a 2 step optin method but when the button or link is clicked, a contact form opens instead of a optin form.

I haven't found a plugin to do this yet (there's one but it hasn't been updated in over 2 years, but I haven't checked my OP 2 install on my current site.

I thought I would mention this since it is similar to the optin idea, but I really don't know how popular it would really be or if there is any other need for it.

#13 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

Alex
I think if you built something like Optin Monster with a ONE OFF payment, we'd be all over it.

Key features
Active Campaign, MC, Aweber integration
Exit intent
Trigger (X % of page or # minutes)
Suppress by page, category, post IDs
Trigger Outputs: pop up, scroll bar
Templates
Pass hidden fields to mail manager

Something like Optin Monster/SumoMe without a subscription payment and without SumoMe's RIDICULOUS amount of code bloat

I use LeadPages but object to the pricing (there's also Optimize Press I suppose).

I think building something like Lead Pages would be really really hard, so a pop ups manager would be a good start

I would pay $99 for something really good. In fact I would prepay a Kickstarter or similarright now.

Awesome suggestions! One of the biggest things I'm passionate about with MD (apart from you owning everything) is one-off payments. I understand the perspective of a business owner by creating recurring subscriptions but I don't believe a business like mine (and even most software companies) needs to be so ingrained into your life that you need to pay monthly for it. A product like MD is only a small part of your actual business and not something you're always thinking about so why I should I force you to constantly pay for it when I can't even guarantee you results? It's just not a mess I ever want to adopt (again) here at Kolakube.

That being said, I was thinking the price-point for this addon to be around $30-$40 with the optional yearly renewal to keep getting updates since I see a lot of potential for this addon and plan to update it. I haven't actually started building it yet so I'll have a better idea once I start.

One thing I'm taking huge pride in is making this lightweight as possible (just like everything else in MD) because the truth is - exit intent and 2-step optins do not take much to work. It's these services that add in ridiculous amounts of tracking codes and other bloat to give you "unlimited options" as a tradeoff for performance that add fuel to my fire about this addon. This addon will be all about easily adding forms and creating custom forms on posts/pages. I'll let a 3rd party service worry about tracking and save us all the code bloat.

What is that landing page built with? Is that standard MD4?

Bloody awesome!

Haha yup! That's all MD. I shot this quick video to show you the options I filled in on my post editor: http://quick.as/a9jPIaQXv. The hardest thing about setting up that page was writing convincing and brief enough copy!

I removed the Content Box for now, but I'm going to be doing a writeup with more information about this addon later today so I can formally announce it come Monday. You guys have already given me killer feedback on it!

Alex.....something personally that I am looking to do on the redesign I am currently building is to add a contact form to a lightbox. It would be like a 2 step optin method but when the button or link is clicked, a contact form opens instead of a optin form.

I haven't found a plugin to do this yet (there's one but it hasn't been updated in over 2 years, but I haven't checked my OP 2 install on my current site.

I thought I would mention this since it is similar to the optin idea, but I really don't know how popular it would really be or if there is any other need for it.

This is actually a good idea and why I've decided to go with a generic name like "MD Popups" for this addon. Based on how I like to create my products, I don't see it being relatively difficult to do it in a way where you can swap out email forms with something custom in your popups. For 1.0 though, I'll probably just be sticking with the optin and and exit intent but who knows - MD is built in a flexible way already and I may see a way to do this from the start.
- Alex

#14 Tim Marsh

Tim Marsh

Advanced Member

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:14 AM

$30-40 annual for maybe 1 site or whatever limits you want to place, sounds great.

I'd pay $99+ for
- lifetime/dev (al updates)
- multiple sites

I want this on about 6 sites I either work on for my own stuff or family/friends

#15 Colin

Colin

Affiliate

• + Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

Glad to see Alex implementing these features from customer feedback!

Checkout my Blog | Follow me on Twitter

#16 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

Glad to see Alex implementing these features from customer feedback!

Thank you guys for this idea! From a business side, I see a huge opportunity for sales and the growth of MD as well as giving you guys a killer tool that could save you $$$, get more email subscribers, and make doing it from the comfort of your WP dashboard. We all win from this, keep the good ideas coming!

- Alex

#17 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:55 PM

Update on MD Popups!

Watch a quick video demonstration 

(bonus points if you count the number of times I say "popup" in this video)

I've been making great progress with this addon. I'm just about wrapping up the popup functionality which makes the exit intent and 2 step popups work. This part has been challenging but I'm excited to show you the basics of what MD Popups will have to offer you in this quick update.

As per your feedback the 2 biggest features of MD Popups are:

1. Exit intent popups
  2. 2-step optin forms

Without these 2 features the entire plugin would miss the point so I've spent the past few days working on building them the right way. I'm happy to say that these popups will load fast. In fact, the script that makes these features work is only 18KB in file size (will be even slimmer at release), which is incredibly tiny. Why is that such a big deal? Unlike most of these email services you use to get these same features, you won't have to load your popups from their servers alongside the other variety of scripts they give you. You'll be able to create beautiful popups right from your own site and thanks to integration with MD, in a fast and minimal way.

What is Exit Intent?

Exit intent, as you may know, is the popup that shows right as someone moves their mouse off your page into their browser. This idea behind this is to try and capture a visitors attention before leaving and entice them to take action on a last-minute compelling offer. I've never used one myself but from what you guys tell me (and the huge industry behind it), they work.

What are 2-step optins?

2-step optins have also been proven to be more effective way of capturing emails. Rather than displaying your email form, you display a button, link, or image that your visitor clicks and is brought to a popup that then shows your email form / offer. The psychology behind this is to make a person commit by clicking a button, then take the action (email signup, download, etc.) once the popup has locked them in. Of course they can exit out any time by clicking the popup "x" button.

Don't just think email forms...

I've talked about things like email forms and download buttons, but from some of Brad's feedback, you'll be able to paste in custom HTML to add any kind of content, such as contact forms from a 3rd-party.

There will be other design options, like featured image background, headline and text, as well as full integration with MD's slick email forms system, so creating popups with email signup forms and buttons can be done code-free, just like Page Leads.

My question to you: what would you pay for this?

MD Popups is still in development and as I finish up the Exit Intent and 2-step features I'll be moving on to integrating it into your admin panel. I have some exciting things planned for that, and I think you'll enjoy how easy it will be to create and customize your popups.

With that being said, I want to try something a little different.

Tell me what you'd pay for something like this. I want to hear about your experiences with other services and how much you value functionality like this for your business.

MD Popups will be a one-time fee, included with a year of updates with an optional annual renewal fee (around 40% of your purchase).

$30? $40? $70?

What about the price Tim suggests for the unlimited sites option?

$30-40 annual for maybe 1 site or whatever limits you want to place, sounds great.

I'd pay $99+ for
- lifetime/dev (al updates)
- multiple sites

I want this on about 6 sites I either work on for my own stuff or family/friends

Again, here's that quick video of me demonstrating the Exit Intent + 2-step optin functionality. As I make more progress I'll send more updates your way!

Let me know your thoughts on pricing as well as any ideas/suggestions you have for the addon by replying to this thread (you must be logged in).

- Alex

#18 doortoriver

doortoriver

• + Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:01 AM

I would jump on the lifetime price for this SO HARD.

I also have one other suggestion: the option to add a second step to the optin form. When someone inputs their email and clicks to send it, I'd like to see a way to then show them something offering an extra bonus of some kind if they're willing to share this offer/gift/whatever with their friends.

I hope that makes sense!

#19 Brad

Brad

Advanced Member

• MD Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

I'm another that would jump on that lifetime option.

As for s one-off price, that's tricky. I don't know if you can make it close to the same price as the theme. I mean does it make sense that the theme is almost the same price?

But the value this adds to the theme is substantial.

I pay somewhere around $39/month for LeadPages, which is their second subscription level. But LP an also be used on nonWP sites and also included many templates for landing pages. I have clients with Sites using Drupal or other WP themes, so I still need it. But I think that shows you the value. A regular person with one site would save $29/month (entry level subscription) using MD and buying this at a one-off price.

That being said $50, with $20 yearly renewal isn't unreasonable. I mean I already showed the value is much greater. Plus in the future you could have plugin/theme renewal packages.

Can't wait for the releases!

#20 Alex

Alex

Kolakube Staff

• Kolakube Admin
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

I would jump on the lifetime price for this SO HARD.

I also have one other suggestion: the option to add a second step to the optin form. When someone inputs their email and clicks to send it, I'd like to see a way to then show them something offering an extra bonus of some kind if they're willing to share this offer/gift/whatever with their friends.

I hope that makes sense!

This makes perfect sense! I could see something like this added in a version later down the road. The idea had crossed my mind since I've seen other services do something similar so I think it's worth exploring once this gets traction. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm another that would jump on that lifetime option.

As for s one-off price, that's tricky. I don't know if you can make it close to the same price as the theme. I mean does it make sense that the theme is almost the same price?

But the value this adds to the theme is substantial.

I pay somewhere around $39/month for LeadPages, which is their second subscription level. But LP an also be used on nonWP sites and also included many templates for landing pages. I have clients with Sites using Drupal or other WP themes, so I still need it. But I think that shows you the value. A regular person with one site would save $29/month (entry level subscription) using MD and buying this at a one-off price.

That being said $50, with $20 yearly renewal isn't unreasonable. I mean I already showed the value is much greater. Plus in the future you could have plugin/theme renewal packages.

Can't wait for the releases!

The pricing is tricky because you're right — it doesn't make sense to have an addon be just as or more expensive than the base product. That's why I'm looking around the $30-$40 range for the initial product, but it still makes pricing different levels of licenses tough.

While this is a valuable product, it won't be as feature-filled and comprehensive as something like LeadPages but will still nail the initial premise in a "WordPress way". That's why I don't have a problem going with the lower $30-$40 range for a one-time payment.

I'll definitely be doing more research and thinking on this, but for now, I have a lot more code to write! Thank you guys for the feedback, keep it coming!

- Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users